Friday, April 24, 2009

Anzac day 2009

April 25: The sun is hot but nothing will stop those old diggers from gathering at the annual remembrance parade and ceremonies across Australia. Every year since I can recall, I have honoured the tradition and waved my appreciation to those who have returned from battles and I have felt the sad tone of their repose. As a child, I marched as a Brownie and then a Girl Guide. There is no victory in war. Nobody really wins. The winners are those who continue to live in the freedom the diggers fought for. Right now we are aware of wars in other places where our army persists for the safety of those threatened by bullies and greed - mainly in Afganistan. We pray for their safe return. We pray that peace can be restored in Afganistan. I'm going to wear a sprig of Rosemary as I wave my flag today.

No comments:

Post a Comment