Friday, July 17, 2009

Freezing Friday







It is winter in south-east Queensland, the nights are cold and a bitter wind bites into exposed skin. Windows have a dampness which evaporates when morning sunshine changes things back to sunny days. Today the sky is a pale blue haze at 9am. Birds have come to life and I wonder how they are not frozen to the branches of the overhanging gums outside my room. Yes, it is winter. It's nice to have a change of seasons, unlike our country cousins out west and up north in Queensland where summer extends from one month to the next, the only difference in seasons being a measurement in humidity. I recall my childhood in NSW country Australia, Wagga Wagga and Young, where winter was about pea-soup fogs, bitter winds, heavy rain and iced over windscreens. I remember pouring boiling water over the meter-reading device in the morning to melt the water in the extended water pipes so I could have a shower. I remember the beautiful yellow and red leaves of the deciduous trees along the Murrumbidgee River. In comparison, in Queensland, my winter garden is blooming white with lavendah loving the warmth of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment